This system design template shows how Biamp products can be used in a mid-sized retail application. Such systems need medium to loud level background music to be played throughout the retail floor space and need to be fed from one or more music sources to allow for a variety of music types.
In this example, the retail store is divided into two distinct areas, one for men's and one for women's clothing. The music source in the two zones is always the same but will be at different levels to allow for a different ambiance in each zone.
Retail store design
In this case, the store is divided into two main areas: one for men's
clothing and one for women's clothing. Each area has 6 pendant loudspeakers configured in mono and placed so that full coverage of the area is possible.
The electronics rack contains three main devices:
- Music source - in this example a generic combined radio tuner and USB player plus an external smartphone can be selected by the end user
- PREZONE1 pre-amplifier - allows the required music source to be selected and the level to be adjusted into each zone. The PREZONE1 outputs are configured as mono to feed the two mono loudspeaker zones
- REVAMP 4240T amplifier - accepts the line level signals from the preamplifier and converts it to speaker level which is connected directly to the loudspeakers using two separate speaker lines (2 zones in mono).
In this example, connectivity is shown using a 100v loudspeaker line but 70v or low impedance connections are also possible. The REVAMP 4240T is configured in bridge mode so that two higher power channels are derived from the amplifier's 4 channels.
The building alarm system will have a logic output which will become active in cases of emergency. This logic signal is connected to the preamplifier and when active all audio outputs from the preamplifier are muted.
The main user interface is via the front panel of the PREZONE1 preamplifier. The main controls for the music level to zones 1 and 2 are large controls and illuminated with a blue led ring. The second primary controls are the 4 source selection switches, the currently selected source will have its led on, there is also a space for labels (which are supplied with the PREZONE1), to be applied indicating the source type.
Each of the zones also has an on/off switch in case one zone or the other needs to be silenced. Secondary controls are the two mic inputs with recessed level control and illuminated on/off switch.
A clear indication that an emergency condition is active is available on the front panel.
It should be noted that the music and mic level controls are independent and each directly feed the main output. This reduces the possibility of feedback via the mics when the music level is increased and removes the need for an extra master level control.
- 12 x Apart P60DT - pendant loudspeaker
- 1 x Apart PREZONE1 - stereo pre-amplifier with 2 stereo volume zones
- 1 x Apart REVAMP4240T - 4 channel amplifier each with 240w at 70/100v
- Music sources - as required
- Follow Gain Structure best practices to set input and output levels of the music sources and amplifiers
- Always check the impedance of the loudspeaker line before connection to the amplifier