This article covers how to configure a Nurse Call enabled Text-to-Speech processor (TTS-1nc and TTS-1nce) to interact with a Rauland Responder 5 Nurse Call system to audibly page doctors and alert staff to patient needs.
This article is written with the intention of being useful to the audio system integrator and the Responder Nurse Call system programmer alike.
The Vocia TTS-1(e) dialog is used to configure the way Nurse Call data is handled. Rules are defined using the TTS-1(e) dialog and provide a means of filtering and triggering paging events from Vocia. Each rule has a number of different filters to allow specific values or a range of values that can be acted upon. This action can either be tied to a predetermined page code or a custom sequence constructed out of audio and text-to-speech elements.
Each Rule has independent settings for Paging priority and Zone routing. Vocia supports the TAP protocol as a means of receiving the information from the Nurse Call system and this has been tested using Rauland Responder 5.
• Vocia software and firmware version 1.5 or higher.
• One MS-1(e) and one Vocia output device.
• One TTS-1nc(e) with a Nurse Call license and at least one voice font installed. The TTS-1nc(e) must be connected to the Rauland Responder Nurse Call interface via RS-232. All baud and RS-232 communication settings should match between the Vocia and the Rauland Responder systems.
It is assumed the Vocia software is open to the main layout, the required hardware is available, all devices are available on the network, and the necessary voice font(s) are installed on the TTS-1nc(e).
- Confirm the preliminary conditions above have been met and all hardware is showing as online and available in the software.
- From the main layout open the TTS-1nc(e) properties.
- Enable Nurse Call using the check box and configure the RS-232 baud rate and options to match those specified in the Nurse Call system.
- Configure the Default Voice to the TTS-1nc(e) voice font required for the majority of paging events.
- Unless specified by the Nurse Call system, leave the Legacy Dial Back Pagers option unselected.
- Switch to the Nurse Call Tab on the left side of the dialog.
- The TTS-1(e) dialog can be split into three main areas:
- the Rules area
- the Sequence Editor area
- the Settings & Zone Assignment area
- Using the Rules area, create a New Group. A new Rule is automatically created and placed within that group.
- Use a combination of the five fields (rows) and the filters (columns) to configure a rule that will match the desired conditions or values received from the Nurse Call system to trigger a paging event. See the Configuring Nurse Call Groups & Rules article for more details regarding creating and matching of rules.
- Use the Sequence Editor located on the lower portion of the window to construct the paging event that will occur once the rule is matched. Refer to the Configuring Nurse Call Groups & Rules article for greater detail on constructing an audio sequence and the elements available.
- Once the desired sequence has been created, use the Settings & Zone assignment section to configure the Priority of the Paging event, the voice font used for any Text-to-Speech elements, whether a preamble is required, if the message requires any Auto Repeat functionality and to designate the required zone(s) for playback. See the Configuring Nurse Call Groups & Rules article for more details.
- Repeat steps 10, 11, 12, and 13 for any additional Groups and Rules.
- Once finished, save the TTS-1(e) settings and perform a Send Configuration.
- The Vocia system is now ready to trigger paging events when the Nurse Call system sends data that matches one or more rules.