This system design template shows how Vocia products can be used to easily create a simple multi-zone paging system. Vocia is a highly reliable solution that provides excellent audio quality while managing all your paging, background music, and emergency communication requirements. It is powerful, scalable, and flexible, and can meet a facility’s needs well into the future. A decentralized approach, which places digital signal processing in all of the endpoints, creates a solution with no single point of failure, and provides a means to expand an existing system as needs grow.
Take the example of a shopping mall that is transitioning over to a new Vocia paging system, with the installation taking place over multiple phases. This upgrade will transition from a basic multi-zoned public address system through full integration with their emergency and evacuation systems, as well as support for scheduled recorded announcements and paging capabilities from the mall's existing VoIP telephone network. This article details the requirements for phase 1: a relatively simple paging system. Phase 2 adds background music and ambient noise compensation to the existing system. Phase 3 adds emergency evacuation notifications to the paging system.
Paging system design
- 2 Paging Stations to provide live paging from either the information desk, or security office
- 8 Paging Zones capable of receiving the same, or unique pages
- 70V distributed ceiling loudspeakers, wired into 8 discrete zones
Below is the list of Biamp Vocia equipment used in this project:
- 2 - Vocia DS-10 10-button desktop paging station, cardioid microphone, PoE, CobraNet audio/control
- 1 - VA-8150CV 8-channel constant voltage 70V/100V amplifier, CobraNet audio/control
- Apart CM60DTD 6.5" two-way, thin edge ceiling loudspeaker, with back can. 70V transformer power taps in watts 60-30-15-7.5-3.75. (Quantities as needed to meet project scope)
Note that other non-Biamp equipment is required, including a CobraNet PoE network switch.
The example file for this system design template is set with 8 zones that might be found in a typical shopping mall environment:
- Zone 1 - Information/Main Entrance
- Zone 2 - Security Office
- Zone 3 - Admin Offices
- Zone 4 - Food Court
- Zone 5 - Floor 1
- Zone 6 - Floor 2
- Zone 7 - Floor 3
- Zone 8 - Parking Garage
Nine page codes have been provided to allow for flexible paging throughout the zones. As each DS-10 has 10 buttons, we will utilize Button Based Assignment for the page codes:
- Page Code 1 - General Announcement: Supports live paging to all zones for general updates and announcements
- Page Code 2 - Staff and Security: Supports live paging to Zones 2 and 3
- Page Code 3 - Parking: Supports live paging to only Zone 8
- Page Code 4 - Food Court: Supports live paging to only Zone 4
- Page Code 5 - Retail All Floors: Supports paging to Zones 5, 6, and 7
- Page Code 6 - Retail Floor 1: Supports live paging to only Zone 5
- Page Code 7 - Retail Floor 2: Supports live paging to only Zone 6
- Page Code 8 - Retail Floor 3: Supports live paging to only Zone 7
- Page Code 9 - Priority Page: Highest priority* page sent to all Zones
*For more information about paging priority, see the Priority Levels section of the Vocia help document.
Vocia supports two modes of network communication depending on the network topology. One requires a direct connection to a CobraNet network while the other requires an IP-based connection to the MS-1e Message Server to access the system. Since this system does not include an MS-1e, the first method will be used. The system is also small enough that an isolated network with PoE will suffice for CobraNet communication and audio transport between Vocia devices.
- Network switch with sufficient ports for CobraNet connections
- 802.3af (Class 2) PoE Injector for powering the information desk DS-10 (unless the CobraNet switch provides PoE).
- 802.3af (Class 2) PoE Injector for powering the security office DS-10 (unless the CobraNet switch provides PoE).
All Vocia devices are set, by default, to unity gain. This allows the system to start working, once the file is loaded, with minimal adjustments.