Shoretel VoIP configuration for Tesira using the VoIP web interface
Biamp’s VoIP-enabled products have the ability to make and receive phone calls over many different Voice-over-IP (VoIP) systems that adheres to the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) standard. This article details the steps required to configure a Shoretel VoIP system to work with Biamp's Tesira VoIP products, using the built-in web interface on the VoIP endpoint.
Please first review the requirements for using the VoIP web interface to configure a Tesira VoIP endpoint.
The first step in setting up the ShoreTel system is to verify that the proper amount of SIP licenses are in place. Each Tesira VoIP endpoint card can support up to two lines and multiple cards may be present in a Tesira system. The ShoreTel system will require a SIP Phone License for each extension assigned to Tesira. The steps to verify the license count are detailed below. If it is discovered that there are not enough licenses available contact the VoIP Admin.
- Go to Administration ->System Parameters-> Licenses -> Requirements.
- ShoreTel SIP Phone License Purchased must be equal or greater than the number of lines to be assigned to the Tesira VoIP card. Purchased Licenses will move to Configured Licenses after the ShoreTel system has been fully configured.
Configuring the ShoreTel server
Creating a new user
Add a new User to the ShoreTel system.
- Go to Administration —> Users -> Individual Users
- Select the site that you would like to add a User to.
- Click "Go"
Setting up the new user
The steps below outline the process setting up the new user account in ShoreTel. All of the following steps are located in the Edit User page accessed from the previous step. Note that any configuration settings not explicitly detailed in this section can be left at the default value.
- Enter a name for the user.
- Enter the extension number to be used in the Number field.
- Change the License Type to Extension Only or Extension + Mailbox. The latter should be used if a Voicemail account will be created for the card.
- Change the Access License to match what would be expected of the card in the current ShoreTel setup. This setting does not effect the Tesira VoIP functionality, it simply helps in ShoreTel organization.
- Enter Caller ID if desired.
- Enter DID info if desired.
- Set PTSN Failover to None.
- Set the User Group that makes the most sense in the ShoreTel setup.
- The correct Primary Phone Port selection is based off of the entry in Step 3. Apply the setting based on the criteria below:
- If Extension Only was used in Step 3 select SoftSwitch for the Primary Phone Port. Then select SoftSwitch from the pull-down menu.
- If Extension + Mailbox was used in Step 3 select IP Phones for the Primary Phone Port. Then select Any IP Phone.
Setting the call stack size
Tesira VoIP endpoints can handle up to 6 call appearances on a single line. Separate call appearances can be used to place calls on hold to open another call, support call waiting, and utilize the conference feature. Note that conferencing in Tesira is limited to a 3-way call per line. It is recommended that you limit the number of appearance available to a maximum of 6 in the ShoreTel system. It may also be desired to limit the number of appearances lower than the 6 available in Tesira. Setting the ShoreTel limit lower will further limit the number of calls appearances at a single extension.
- From the Edit User screen select the Personal Options Tab.
- Set the Current Call Stack Size to support the maximum number of call appearances desired on the extension.
- Click “Save”
After all ShoreTel settings have been entered, follow the steps below to set up the Tesira card:
Accessing the VoIP web page
To access the VoIP web page, connect a computer to the VoIP network, open a web browser, and enter the IP address of the VoIP port. If successful, a login page will be displayed.
Default username: admin
Default password: admin
If you do not see a login screen, ensure the following:
- The Tesira device must be running firmware version 3.8 or newer.
- The Tesira system must be running a configuration file that includes a VoIP block.
- This Tesira system must have either HTTP or HTTPS access enabled on the VoIP port, as described here.
- Under the Network window, set “VLAN” to “Enabled” if your VoIP network uses a tagged VLAN. If the network uses an untagged VLAN or no VLAN, leave this value as disabled”. If VLAN is enabled, enter the correct VLAN ID.
- Leave “DHCP” set to “Enabled” if the Tesira VoIP will obtain an IP address automatically from a DHCP server. Otherwise, set “DHCP” to “Disabled”, and manually enter an appropriate static IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway for the Tesira VoIP endpoint
To access the optional advanced network features, click the "Switch to Advanced" button.
To write the settings to the VoIP card click on "Save Changes" and then "Apply Saved Changes". After the changes have been saved, you will be brought back to the login page.
Configuring the VoIP settings
Navigate to the "Line 1 Setup" on the left side of your browser window and to the "SIP Config" tab.
- Toggle to the Advanced View of "SIP Config"
- Select "ShoreTel" as the Proxy vendor
- In the Extension field, enter the Extension Number used in the ShoreTel settings. (see: "Setting up new User", step 3)
- In the Authentication User Name (Extension) field, enter the Extension Number used in the ShoreTel settings. (see: "Setting up new User", step 3)
- In the SIP Phone Password field, enter the SIP Password you used in the ShoreTel settings. (see: "Setting up new User", step 10)
- In the Proxy Address field, enter the IP address of the ShoreTel ShoreGear switch.
- Ensure that Transport is set to UDP
- Ensure that the Session timer is Enabled
- Set the Session Refresher field to UAS.
- If your network prioritizes VoIP traffic using Quality of Service (QoS), select the Quality of Service tab and enter the appropriate settings for your network. Otherwise, skip this step. By default, only the Diffserv attributes are available. If you prefer specifying QoS using TOS, select TOS as the QoS mode in the Properties Sheet and return to this page.
- If you’re configuring two lines, select "Line 2 Setup" at the left of the page and repeat steps 4-11.
- All other settings can remain at their default values in most cases.
- Once all settings have been added, save the changes by clicking "Save Changes".
To send the changes to the Tesira VoIP interface, click "Apply Saved Changes". This will send the new settings to the VoIP interface. The VoIP interface will then briefly reboot, and start working based on the new settings.