Biamp’s SVC-2 card allows Biamp Tesira digital signal processors to make and receive calls over any VoIP system that adheres to the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) standard. This document details the steps required to configure a ShoreTel VoIP system to work with Biamp’s SVC-2 card.
These instructions also apply to the TesiraFORTÉ VI.
The first step in setting up the ShoreTel system is to verify that the proper amount of SIP licenses are in place. Each Tesira SVC-2 card can support up to two lines and multiple cards may be present in a Tesira system. The ShoreTel system will require a SIP Phone License for each extension assigned to Tesira. The steps to verify the license count are detailed below. If it is discovered that there are not enough licenses available contact the VoIP Admin.
- Go to Administration ->System Parameters-> Licenses -> Requirements.
- ShoreTel SIP Phone License Purchased must be equal or greater than the number of lines to be assigned to the SVC-2 card. Purchased Licenses will move to Configured Licenses after the ShoreTel system has been fully configured.
Configuring the ShoreTel server
Creating a new user
- Go to Administration —> Users -> Individual Users
- Select the site that you would like to add a User to.
- Click "Go"
Setting up the new user
The steps below outline the process setting up the new user account in ShoreTel. All of the following steps are located in the Edit User page accessed from the previous step. Note that any configuration settings not explicitly detailed in this section can be left at the default value.
- Enter a name for the user.
- Enter the extension number to be used in the Number field.
- Change the License Type to Extension Only or Extension + Mailbox. The latter should be used if a Voicemail account will be created for the card.
- Change the Access License to match what would be expected of the card in the current ShoreTel setup. This setting does not effect the Tesira VoIP functionality, it simply helps in ShoreTel organization.
- Enter Caller ID if desired.
- Enter DID info if desired.
- Set PTSN Failover to None.
- Set the User Group that makes the most sense in the ShoreTel setup.
- The correct Primary Phone Port selection is based off of the entry in Step 3. Apply the setting based on the criteria below:
- If Extension Only was used in Step 3 select SoftSwitch for the Primary Phone Port. Then select SoftSwitch from the pull-down menu.
- If Extension + Mailbox was used in Step 3 select IP Phones for the Primary Phone Port. Then select Any IP Phone.
Setting the call stack size
The Tesira SVC-2 card can handle up to 6 call appearances on a single line. Separate call appearances can be used to place calls on hold to open another call, support call waiting, and utilize the conference feature. Note that conferencing in Tesira is limited to a 3-way call per line. It is recommended that you limit the number of appearance available to a maximum of 6 in the ShoreTel system. It may also be desired to limit the number of appearances lower than the 6 available in Tesira. Setting the ShoreTel limit lower will further limit the number of calls appearances at a single extension.
- From the Edit User screen select the Personal Options Tab.
- Set the Current Call Stack Size to support the maximum number of call appearances desired on the extension.
- Click “Save”
Configuring the Tesira system
After all ShoreTel settings have been entered, follow the steps below to set up the SVC-2 card:
Configuring the network settings
- Open the Tesira software, and open the .tmf file. Note that the information below cannot be entered while connected to the Tesira system, the file must be configured then loaded.
- Right-click on the VoIP Control/Status block and select “Properties”. At the top of the Properties Sheet, select the DSP Properties tab.
- Under the Network General category in the Properties Sheet, set VLAN to “Enabled” if the VoIP network uses a tagged VLAN. If the network uses an untagged VLAN or no VLAN, leave this value as “Disabled”. If VLAN is enabled, enter the correct VLAN ID.
- Under the Network General category in the Properties Sheet, leave DHCP set to “Enabled” if the SVC-2 card will obtain an IP address automatically from a DHCP server. Otherwise, set DHCP to “Disabled”, and manually enter an appropriate static IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway for the SVC-2 card.
- Under the Protocol SIP category in the Properties Sheet, ensure that Transport is set to UDP
- Under the General category in the Properties Sheet, click on the “…” symbol next to Line Properties. This will open the VoIP Line Properties window.
Configuring the VoIP settings
- Select the Protocol tab.
- In the SIP User Name field, enter the Extension Number used in the ShoreTel settings.
- In the Authentication User Name field, enter the Extension Number used in the ShoreTel settings.
- In the Authentication Password field, enter the SIP Password you used in the ShoreTel settings.
- Select “ShoreTel” as the Proxy Vendor.
- In the Proxy Address field, enter the IP address of the ShoreTel ShoreGear switch.
- Set the Session Refresher field to UAS.
- If your network prioritizes VoIP traffic using Quality of Service (QoS), select the Quality of Service tab and enter the appropriate settings for your network. Otherwise, skip this step. By default, only the Diffserv attributes are available. If you prefer specifying QoS using TOS, select TOS as the QoS mode in the Properties Sheet and return to this page.
- If you’re configuring two lines, select Line 2 at the top of the page and repeat steps 1-8.
- All other settings can remain at their default values in most cases.
- Send the configuration to the Tesira Server.