Biamp’s VoIP-2 card allows Biamp Audia digital signal processors to make and receive calls over a VoIP system that adheres to the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) standard. This document details the steps required to configure a ShoreTel VoIP system to work with Biamp’s VoIP-2 card.
The first step in setting up the ShoreTel system is to verify that the proper amount of SIP licenses are in place. Each Audia VoIP-2 card can support up to two lines and multiple cards may be present in a Audia system. The ShoreTel system will require a SIP Phone License for each extension assigned to Audia. The steps to verify the license count are detailed below. If it is discovered that there are not enough licenses available contact the VoIP Admin.
- Go to Administration ->System Parameters-> Licenses -> Requirements.
ShoreTel SIP Phone License Purchased must be equal or greater than the number of lines to be assigned to the VoIP-2 card. Purchased Licenses will move to Configured Licenses after the ShoreTel system has been fully configured.
Configuring the ShoreTel server
Creating a new user
- Go to Administration —> Users -> Individual Users
- Select the site that you would like to add a User to.
- Click "Go"
Setting up the new user
The steps below outline the process setting up the new user account in ShoreTel. All of the following steps are located in the Edit User page accessed from the previous step. Note that any configuration settings not explicitly detailed in this section can be left at the default value.
- Enter a name for the user.
- Enter the extension number to be used in the Number field.
- Change the License Type to Extension Only or Extension + Mailbox. The latter should be used if a Voicemail account will be created for the card.
- Change the Access License to match what would be expected of the card in the current ShoreTel setup. This setting does not affect the VoIP functionality, it simply helps in ShoreTel organization.
- Enter Caller ID if desired.
- Enter DID info if desired.
- Set PTSN Failover to None.
- Set the User Group that makes the most sense in the ShoreTel setup.
- The correct Primary Phone Port selection is based off of the entry in Step 3. Apply the setting based on the criteria below:
- If Extension Only was used in Step 3 select SoftSwitch for the Primary Phone Port. Then select SoftSwitch from the pull-down menu.
- If Extension + Mailbox was used in Step 3 select IP Phones for the Primary Phone Port. Then select Any IP Phone.
Setting the call stack size
- From the Edit User screen select the Personal Options Tab.
1. Set the Current Call Stack Size to 1, which is the maximum call appearances supported by each line of the Audia VoIP-2 card.
- Click “Save”
Setting the Session Refresh
- Go to Administration -> Call Control-> Options.
- Change the SIP Session Timer Refresher to Callee (UAS).
- The ShoreTel System must be rebooted for this change to take effect.
Configuring the Audia system
After all ShoreTel settings have been entered, follow the steps below to set up the VoIP-2 card:
Configuring the network settings
- Open the Audia software and open the .dap file. Note that the information below cannot be entered while connected to the Audia system, the file must be configured then loaded.
- Double Click the VoIP Console Block the click the Advanced button to open the VoIP Advanced Settings dialog.
- Select the Network Tab (Figure 9)
- Set the VLAN.
- If the VoIP network uses an untagged VLAN or no VLAN, leave the Enable VLAN box unchecked.
- If the VoIP network uses a tagged VLAN check the Enable VLAN box and enter the correct VLAN ID.
- Set the IP Address.
- If the VoIP-2 card will obtain an IP Address automatically from a DHCP server leave the Use DHCP box checked.
- If the VoIP-2 card’s IP Address will be set statically uncheck the Use DHCP box and manually enter an appropriate IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway for the VoIP-2 card.
Configuring the VoIP protocol settings
- Select the Protocol tab.
- In the Subscriber Number filed, enter the Extension Number used in the ShoreTel settings.
- In the Proxy User Name field, enter the Extension Number used in the ShoreTel settings.
- In the Proxy Password field, enter the SIP Password you used in the ShoreTel settings.
- In the Proxy Address field, enter the IP address of the ShoreTel Proxy server.
- All other settings can remain at their default values in most cases.
- If you’re configuring two lines, select Line 2 at the top of the page and repeat steps 1-6.
Configuring QoS settings
- If your network prioritizes VoIP traffic using Quality of Service (QoS), select the Quality of Service tab and enter the appropriate settings for your network. If this is not a requirement on your netowrk QoS settings can be skipped. The VoIP-2 card uses Type of Service (ToS) as the default QoS method. If the network uses Differentiated Services (DiffServ) you can use this conversion table.
Load the configuration
The Audia configuration file must be uploaded to the unit in order for the changes to take effect.